Can you smell Christmas in the air? It’s the time of the year when the weather is scorching and we gather with those we love and cherish so dearly. However, for some seniors living alone, who are arguably the most experienced at upholding family traditions at Christmas, can face excruciating feelings of anxiety and loneliness which can have compounding impacts on their health.
Here are 10 things that you or a support worker can do to involve our seniors and show you are thinking of them during the festive season:1. Visit your elderly neighbour with a thoughtful gift.
2. Go for a drive to their favourite place in town.
3. Send a personalised Christmas card.
4. Relive past memories by listening to Christmas music.
5. Snap the happy moments from Christmas Day and share them with an elderly loved one.
6. Make a craft together.
7. Dive into old photos and videos from a bygone era.
8. Check out the Christmas light city around town.
9. Arrange a FaceTime or Zoom call.
10. Drop off a Christmas-inspired meal to a senior in need.
On behalf of the Just Better Care Sunshine Coast team, we'd like to wish you the merriest Christmas and a prosperous and Happy New Year.